The First Hall
Project was first discussed 1945 to build a Memorial Village Hall in memory of the seven villagers who had been lost in the war. Mr Hedley Musgrave was one of those prominent in the discussions as he had lost his son.
The first start up General Committee Meeting was held at Upper Cheddon Farm home of Mr H Musgrave on Tuesday October 30th 1945 he was voted in as Chairman, Treasurer Col C D G Lyon, Secretary Mr S E Sampson, with the aim of raising £1000,00. A bank account was to be opened at Somerset and Wilts Savings Bank. There were two sub committees Catering and Social.
The Hon Mrs Portman of Hestercombe House had given her permission for the Reading Room to be used for functions. An appeal to all parishioners to be asked towards funds. Fund raisers were to include Christmas Parties, children's concerts, whist drives, variety concerts, dances.
The first Flower show was held August Bank holiday 1946 was so successful became an annual event and is still going. 1948 saw the first gymkhana held in a field opposite the school by kind permission of Mr H Musgrave in conjunction with the Flower Show but was later split, the Flower show went to last Saturday in July the gymkhana in September. 1954 saw the Gymkhana Televised, the BBC donated two trophies for the gymkhana they are still used to this day for Flower Show trophies.
Raffles were held at all events prizes included a duck, chicken, basket of apples, books, eggs, tea, bottle port or wine, brace of rabbits, bottle of perfume.
A thermometer showing money raised was put up in the post office.
Meetings were held quarterly in various places Upper Cheddon Farm, The Rectory, Rowford School.
By 1950 just over £800 had been raised and when The Hon Mrs Portman passed away she bequeathed the Hestercombe Reading room to the village who sold it to the Crown Commissioners which doubled there savings to almost £2000.00.
The committee decided to approach the Crown Commissioners to find a suitable place to buy a plot of land to build the Hall, that place was Sandilands.
The first meeting to be held in the Hall was 25th July 1955 it was officially opened by the Bishop of Bath and Wells Dr H W Bradfield Saturday 8th October 1955.
November 1956 all Hall and Land payments were completed thus concluding the buisness of the start up committee.
At the next meeting December 7th 1956 Mr H Musgrave was elected as President.
The present hall was built at a cost of £300,000 in 2001.